The Prince William County Arts Council hereby announces its search for the next Prince William County Poet Laureate. Nominations for this position are due by June 24, 2018. Self-nominations and nominations from others are accepted. Only one nomination per person is accepted.
The Prince William County Poet Laureate 2018-2020 serves to promote an awareness of poetry and heighten appreciation of the art form. The selected candidate will forge a meaningful connection between poetry and the community by participating in public gatherings, initiate engaging dialogue with residents, and undertake a project or series of projects which makes poetry more available and accessible to people in their everyday lives.
This position is to be filled by a resident poet of the Greater Prince William area, which includes Prince William County, Manassas, and Manassas Park who has contributed to the local poetry scene, written poetry of merit, and who advocates arts, sciences, and community collaborative efforts. The candidate should be comfortable giving public presentations and engaging in public interactions.
OBJECTIVES and DUTIES:
- Bring recognition to the history and tradition of poetry, celebrate present contributions, and support advancement of the literary arts for the Greater Prince William area and its residents.
- Inspire and encourage others in an understanding and sharing of poetry and other personal creative expressions.
- Promote poetry and other literary endeavors through the media and collaborations with the schools, cultural organizations, and community institutions.
- Represent the Prince William County area in the wider regional creative arts community.
- Create new literary work which is grounded in the creative arts culture of the Prince William area.
- Contribute to the Prince William Arts Council Web Site and its monthly Newsletter.
- Participate in the Poet Laureate Circle activities and public readings.
- Participate in PWC Arts Council events including Arts Alive and Seefeldt Awards.
- Participate in the Prince William Poet Laureate Day programs, officially named by Prince William County, and celebrated on the Sunday prior to Columbus Day.
- Create and present at least one outreach or educational project that connects literary arts with the Greater Prince William community.
- Help to develop school initiatives, i.e. student workshops and/or presentations at Prince William County Schools and college campuses in the Greater Prince William area.
Nominations will undergo review by a panel of judges; these judges form the Poet Laureate Selection Panel. After a competitive nomination process, final recommendation(s) of the Poet Laureate Selection Panel are presented to The Prince William Arts Council.
POSITION TENURE AND COMPENSATION
The filled position selected for this Laureate program will serve a two-year term that follows the Prince William County fiscal year. Upon completion of the two-year term, reappointment can be considered for no more than one additional consecutive year. The Prince William County Poet Laureate will receive an honorarium of $500.00 per year.
The candidate must have lived in the area for at least two previous years and must maintain residence in the Prince William County area during the full two-year term.
Candidates must be at least 21 years of age.
NOMINATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Complete nomination form. The candidate must be at least 21 years of age.
|1. A description detailing how the nominee would contribute as Prince William County Poet Laureate based on the position description and objectives of the program.|
|2. Examples of Ways the Nominee May Contribute, present a:
|3. Nominee’s literary resume|
|4. Nominee’s literary resume|
|5. List any awards publications, teaching positions and similar achievements.|
|6. Nominator’s statement of support for the candidate (not applicable if nominee is self-nominated)|
|7. Poetry samples. These can be published or unpublished. All work submitted must be original. Poems can be formatted as desired.|
IMPORTANT: The nominee’s name should not be on the description or the poetry samples.